05 September 2011

Can’t write about anything else: Blog entry for school blog (LIS 2600)

November 12, 2008

This is exactly what it looks like. I have this ridiculous class and we have to blog like 3 times a week. See also: website I made for class. Where do I hyperlink on myspace? JLG Web 2600 stupid. Also, Kelly Clarkson mashed up with Nine Inch Nails = Brilliant.

I should really be working on that horrible 2220 paper but it turns out that this class is way more fun than any of the others right now so I'm doin' this. Also, I have to go to the dentist tomorrow for numbing and drilling so I'm overwhelmed by that...

Digital Libraries: Mischo
I'm super psyched about taking Digital Libraries next term...this better be good, Mischo. And so I learn another word: collocate. That's a goodin'. (The correct response is "What's a 'goodin'?") Ooooooo: armamentarium. Another goodin'. Eh, a little history, that's about it. I REALLY wanna learn how to digital library. Give me something informative and hands on...

Dewey Meets Turing: Paepcke, et al.
I'm really having mixed feelings about Google Books and Google Scholar. I thought they were neat ideas before I started school, but now...I don't know. Winners and Losers? Have the publishers lost? Read on. Mo' money? I'm sorry, I have an English background (educational-wise) and this sentence is just ridiculous: "Both partners suddenly had a somewhat undisciplined teenager on their hands without the benefit of prior toddler-level co-parenting." What is that supposed to mean? That nasty web disrupts everything! Linkage. It creeps me out how everything starts connecting after a while. Seemingly unrelated classes/topics suddenly are the same thing and you end up feeling smarter than everyone else. Um, whoo hoo, digital libraries are sexy. It says so right in the article.

This part's good:

"For librarians the intrusion of the Web into the work on digital libraries was much more difficult to integrate. Losing the notion of collection in visions of the future threatened a weight-carrying pillar of traditional librarianship. Now all that seemed left of the original partnership with computer scientists were theoretical computing algorithms without clear connection to recognizable, traditional library functions.
The disruption to the library community was greatly exacerbated by many journal publishers' business decision to charge at a premium for digital content. This decision has been forcing academic libraries to cancel subscriptions, undermining their role as conduits to scholarly work."
It's like LIS 2000 flashbacks. The idea of direct connections between libraries and authors is an interesting idea. (But who will police the police?) This article was a goodin'.

Next.
Institutional Repositories: Lynch
I've been avoiding this guy like the plague while trying to write a bibilographic essay. He's everywhere. Let's see what he's all about. So is DSpace in any way related to D-Lib Magazine? Answer unclear. Try again later. OMG I just zoteroed this for my paper. Lynch supports IR's (institutional respositories, not info retrieval) for archiving purposes beyond scholarly pubs! Bingo! (Top secret paper internal monologue.) The rest of my thoughts on this are top secret. STAY OUT!

But I will give you something to make you smile:




Comments

Post a comment...
  • CHRI§TER
    That was Charita Chen with "Autumn Angel". Thanks, Charita.

    From time to time I suffered from the inevitable cognitive over-saturation which demanding erudition sometimes harbors. I think I could do without hyper digitalia for just a little while.

    I want recommendations of places to see in Quebec City; tell me if you've any. Go on, now. Drop them like they're hot. Make them a blistery treat for the fingers.

    Love to love ya, baby.

    • Reply
    2 years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment