29 July 2010

Hard Wood

I started pulling up the carpet in the back room (office? study? spare bedroom? It doesn't actually have a name.) last night. The amount of dust that's underneath it is outrageous. The "padding" disintegrates when you touch it and there are so many stains on the underside of the carpet. The wood underneath is in fair shape but unfinished which seems weird to me. I've been researching how to clean it and hope to take a trip to Lowe's tonight to get some supplies. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, I've been living in this apartment for almost 3 years now. 

There are hundreds of staples in the floor and I was using a spackle knife-thingy to raise them up a bit so I can pull them out with some pliers and I was, of course, positioned the perfectly wrong way so when the spackle-thingy slipped it went right into my arm above the wrist and bruised right to the bone. Right after it happened I just sat there staring at my arm for a long moment, waiting for it to split open and for the blood to gush out. There was only one little pin-point spot of blood but it immediately started swelling and it's still a little swollen now and getting blacker and bluer. 

I need: mineral spirits, trisodium phosphate, bleach, fine steel wool, fine sandpaper, white or unbleached cotton rags, to wear a mask, goggles, and gloves. 

I also need to own a Eureka Enviro Hard-Surface Floor Steamer. Not for the wood, just because I need one. It looks awesome!!! I am obsessed with cleanliness. I think. I am at least way more fond of the concept than most people I know. I think it's part of my OCD tendencies. In the three years I've been in this apartment I have never once sat in the bathtub, you know, like, taken a bath. It's not clean enough. But you didn't see the condition of this place when Allen and I moved in. It was practically uninhabitable. For realz. Honestly, this bathroom has never been clean enough for me to clean it. Chew on that for a while. I don't clean my bathroom because it was never clean enough to deserve having me clean it in the first place. I let Allen do it and reserve my cleaning skills for more worthy places.    

No comments:

Post a Comment