13 October 2010

It Gets Better: A Lunchtime Breakdown

I, apparently, am going to spend half my lunch break crying while watching the following video:



I am so glad that this guy was brave enough to do this, I was literally shaking while I was watching this. I don't understand why being gay or transgender or whatever has to be an issue... What the fuck is wrong with people? I'm pretty upset right now so I don't know if I can be very articulate about this. I have a few personal reasons for why the It Gets Better campaign and this subject affect me so deeply. There are things in my past, reactions on my part, that I've come to realize were completely the opposite of what I would have liked them to have been and I sincerely hope that... Ugh. I don't know how to say what I want to say.

But I also want to say that this is not new, bullying and suicide is not some new phenomenon, just like being gay isn't, and I don't think it's right to say that this is an "epidemic," this has always gone on, it's just that now people are starting to notice it. But if calling it that helps, then I'll go with it. I am so glad that this is getting attention and I hope it turns out to be for the better.

I don't know what to say, I just hope that it does get better for all of us.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was very touching.. I haven't cried over a video in awhile, but wow.

    I give that man major kudos for saying all he did there.

    ReplyDelete