04 October 2010

A History of the Song "Tainted Love" Using Wikipedia and Other Sources: Part 2

And on to Part 2! "Tainted Love" in the years 1994-2001.

So, David Benoit. 1994. "Jazz Fusion." You have no idea how sad I am that I cannot bring this song to you. All I can give you is a 30-second sampling from over at Amazon.  Enjoy a photo of this genius of smooth jazzzzz:


Shades Apart: They released a god damn single of their version of "Tainted Love" in 1995. On their Revelation Records debut, I guess. Is that a CIV shirt? Yes, yes it is. The 90s.

SHADES APART - "Tainted Love" from Revelation Records on Vimeo.

Also in 1995, Deathline International's cover, which is often confused for Skinny Puppy, as you can see, was included on the album Zarathoustra. It's whatever. Who the hell's ever heard of "Deathline International?"



In 1997, German metal band Atrocity covered the song. There are a few videos of them playing the song live but I like the recorded version better. Enjoy this video of some pixelated half-naked ladies:


Also from 1997: The Hi Fives. They had some records on Lookout! if that interests you. It doesn't interest me, but in the spirit of completism, here you are. 


1998: The Country Teasers, a Scottish group as far as I can tell, also covered "Tainted Love." The album the cover appeared on is out of print. I think that's probably for the best. I found a live version that was played on some online radio station but that's the best I could do. It starts at 21:17 and ends at 22:22. Fuck it, it's not worth listening to.

1998: The Living End, live. From Australia. Unbeknownst to me, this band has "gained notable success in the United States and Europe." At least according to Wikipedia. 


1999: My Ruin from LA. There's really nothing to say about this version. It's not even worth making fun of. Instead of looking at a picture of them, check out the Dita video someone made:


Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, the darlings of punk rock covers, not unexpectedly covered "Tainted Love" somewhere around 1999. Here's a homemade video of some kid's favorite skater (I guess this is them, I don't really have a frame of reference here):


Here's a 30-second clip of some Canadians doing it. They're a married couple and they call themselves The Wild Strawberries. Guh. Around 2000.

2000: La Union, Falso Amor.

Some bullshit called Opium Jukebox did multiple "edits" of the song that aren't worth talking about. 2000. I don't even know what this is, it sounds corny.

We'll ignore whatever the C-Nuts are, also from 2000. We're also ignoring samples of the song, sorry, Mark Ruff Ryder.

And, finally, the moment we've all been waiting for! The 2001 Marilyn Manson cover for the movie Not Another Teen Movie! I seriously lament the fact that there is not a clear copy of this video anywhere on the internet. I love this cover and I'll admit I secretly love Marilyn Manson. I used to have all the records. I'm weird. I was watching this video for fun the other night... Oh, and by the way, "Are any of you collar-vearers?" No, lady, but thanks anyway. That's for a handful of you who may or may not be in the audience.


Come back in a day or two for the 3rd and final installment of "A History of the Song 'Tainted Love' Using..."

No comments:

Post a Comment